- About the SCBA
- Board of Directors
- Membership Directory
- Continuing Legal Education
- Young Lawyers Division
- Diversity Section
- Indian Law Section
- Paralegal Registration
- Events Calendar
- Legal Links
- SCBA Advertising
- Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Online Lawyer Referral
- The SCBA Bar Poll and Judicial Evaluation Panel results are out. See below:
- Interested in the Spokane County District Court judicial position? Click this link to download the Board of County Commissioners Uniform Evaluation Questionnaire. To review the questionnaires as completed by the candidates, click on the names listed below:
- Membership Renewal has begun! It’s that time of year again, the time for renewal of your annual membership in the SCBA. By now, you should have received your annual renewal paperwork, Lawyer Referral Service form and Annual CLE Passport form. If you would like renewal paperwork sent to you, please e-mail Shannon Smith at Shannon@spokanebar.org.
- The Spokane County Superior Court is now accepting applications from those attorneys who wish to serve as Superior Court Commissioners Pro Tem. Letter applications should be sent to Ashley Callan, Superior Court Administrator, and must be received by her no later than the close of business on September 16, 2016. For more information, please contact the Spokane County Superior Court Administrator's Office. Click here for the full article.
Volunteer Lawyers Program
Information for Attorneys
Spokane County attorneys have a long history of providing pro bono legal assistance to individuals at or below the poverty level. Since 1985, the Spokane County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP) has provided attorneys with opportunities to give true meaning to the phrase, “It’s not justice if it’s not equal.”
The goal of the Volunteer Lawyers Program is to have all Spokane County attorneys signed up for the VLP pro bono panel. Secondly, we hope that each panel attorney will commit to volunteering for at least one VLP pro bono activity each year. To this end, our VLP sign-up form offers a variety of volunteer opportunities.
There are real advantages to fulfilling your ethical and professional responsibilities to provide pro bono service by doing it through the VLP:
pre-screening of individuals for income eligibility
pro bono opportunities that fit your time schedule and interests
malpractice coverage through the Spokane County Bar Association VLP
recognition in the bar association’s newsletter Calendar Call
an efficient means to organize your pro bono service
a means to distribute your collective pro bono efforts more evenly among Spokane area attorneys
While over seventy per cent of all VLP individuals need legal assistance in the area of family law, you don't need to specialize in this area to help others in need. Whatever your area of expertise, you possess transferable legal skills and experience that can be invaluable to a low-income person trying to make his/her way through, for example, divorce paperwork and proceedings. And mentoring is always available.
Please complete the VLP pro bono sign-up form today and return it to:
SCBA Volunteer Lawyers Program
1704 West Broadway Avenue
Spokane , WA 99201
FAX #: (509) 232-3051
Do you accept pro bono cases from low-income individuals
on a walk-in or referral basis other than the VLP?
Try using our streamlined individuals intake form or case report form to help us track the many hundreds or thousands of pro bono hours that go unrecognized in our community. Send completed forms to the address above.
- September 15, 2016 - Swearing-in Ceremony - 4:30 p.m. at Barbieri Courtroom, Gonzaga University School of Law, 721 North Cincinnati Street. A reception will be held following the ceremony.
- September 16, 2016 - Fall Social - 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. - Spokane Club.
- September 19, 2016 - SCBA Diversity Section Meeting, Judge Sypolt's at 12:00 p.m
- September 23, 2016 - VLP's Championship of Justice 4th Annual Breakfast, GU's Hemmingson Center, Grand Ballroom, 7:00 a.m
- September 27, 2016 - Red Mass at University Chapel, College Hall, Gonzaga University, and 5:30 p.m Mass 6:30 p.m. Reception at Cataldo Hall.
- September 28, 2016 - Washington State Supreme Court Candidates Forum, GULS Barbieri Courtroom, after 5:00 p.m
- October 7, 2016 - Bar Luncheon Superior Court Candidates Forum (tentative), 12:00 p.m
- October 27 & 28, 2016 - Title 11.88 GAL Training, all day.
- November 4, 2016 - Bar Luncheon featuring GU Basketball Players (past and current) 12:00 p.m
- December 8, 2016 - SCBA Annual Holiday Party and VLP Auction, Spokane Club, 4:00 p.m - 8:00 p.m