- Spokane County Bar Association Board of Trustees proposes to amend SCBA Bylaws. Click this link to review a redline version of the proposed bylaws - Proposed Bylaws. The proposed amendments will be voted upon at November Bar Luncheon on November 6th. For registration information for the November Bar Luncheon, follow this link - Luncheon Registration.
- Superior Court Filing Fees Increase on Some Family Law Matters - Pursuant to Substitute Senate Bill 5631, effective July 24, 2015, the filing fee on the following types of matters will be increased to $314:
- Legal Separation, and
- Invalidity of Marriage
Volunteer Lawyers Program
Information for Attorneys
Spokane County attorneys have a long history of providing pro bono legal assistance to individuals at or below the poverty level. Since 1985, the Spokane County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP) has provided attorneys with opportunities to give true meaning to the phrase, “It’s not justice if it’s not equal.”
The goal of the Volunteer Lawyers Program is to have all Spokane County attorneys signed up for the VLP pro bono panel. Secondly, we hope that each panel attorney will commit to volunteering for at least one VLP pro bono activity each year. To this end, our VLP sign-up form offers a variety of volunteer opportunities.
If you are age 60 and older, you may call CLEAR Sr. at 1-888-387-7111 . There is no income eligibility for receiving service through CLEAR Sr.
There are real advantages to fulfilling your ethical and professional responsibilities to provide pro bono service by doing it through the VLP:
pre-screening of clients for income eligibility
pro bono opportunities that fit your time schedule and interests
malpractice coverage through the Spokane County Bar Association
recognition in the bar association’s newsletter Calendar Call
an efficient means to organize your pro bono service
a means to distribute your collective pro bono efforts more evenly among Spokane area attorneys
While over sixty per cent of all VLP clients need legal assistance in the area of family law, you don’t need to specialize in this are to help others in need. Whatever your area of expertise, you possess transferable legal skill and experience that can be invaluable to a low-income person trying to make his/her way through, for example, divorce paperwork and proceedings. And mentoring is always available.
Please complete the VLP pro bono sign-up form today and return it to:
SCBA Volunteer Lawyers Program
1704 West Broadway Avenue
Spokane , WA 99201
FAX #: (509) 232-3051
Do you accept pro bono cases from low-income individuals
on a walk-in or referral basis other than the VLP?
Try using our streamlined client intake and case report form to help us track the many hundreds or thousands of pro bono hours that go unrecognized in our community. Send completed forms to the address above.
- December 4, 2015 - Alternate Dispute Resolution CLE - 8:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Click here to register
- December 10, 2015 - Holiday Party & VLP Auction - 3:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- December 11, 2015 - Ethics Potpourri CLE - 1:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Click here to register
- David P. Gardner announced as new SCBA Trustee
- Notice and News from The Family Law Section