Volunteer Lawyers Program
Information for Attorneys
Spokane County attorneys have a long history of providing pro bono legal assistance to individuals at or below the poverty level. Since 1985, the Spokane County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP) has provided attorneys with opportunities to give true meaning to the phrase, “It’s not justice if it’s not equal.”
The goal of the Volunteer Lawyers Program is to have all Spokane County attorneys signed up for the VLP pro bono panel. Secondly, we hope that each panel attorney will commit to volunteering for at least one VLP pro bono activity each year. To this end, our VLP sign-up form offers a variety of volunteer opportunities.
If you are age 60 and older, you may call CLEAR Sr. at 1-888-387-7111 . There is no income eligibility for receiving service through CLEAR Sr.
There are real advantages to fulfilling your ethical and professional responsibilities to provide pro bono service by doing it through the VLP:
pre-screening of clients for income eligibility
pro bono opportunities that fit your time schedule and interests
malpractice coverage through the Spokane County Bar Association
recognition in the bar association’s newsletter Calendar Call
an efficient means to organize your pro bono service
a means to distribute your collective pro bono efforts more evenly among Spokane area attorneys
While over sixty per cent of all VLP clients need legal assistance in the area of family law, you don’t need to specialize in this are to help others in need. Whatever your area of expertise, you possess transferable legal skill and experience that can be invaluable to a low-income person trying to make his/her way through, for example, divorce paperwork and proceedings. And mentoring is always available.
Please complete the VLP pro bono sign-up form today and return it to:
SCBA Volunteer Lawyers Program
1704 West Broadway Avenue
Spokane , WA 99201
FAX #: (509) 232-3051
Do you accept pro bono cases from low-income individuals
on a walk-in or referral basis other than the VLP?
Try using our streamlined client intake and case report form to help us track the many hundreds or thousands of pro bono hours that go unrecognized in our community. Send completed forms to the address above.
- December 5, 2013 - Estate Planning CLE - Gonzaga University School of Law, 721 North Cincinnati Street
- December 12, 2013 - SCBA Holiday Party & VLP Silent Auction - The Spokane Club, 1002 West Riverside Avenue, Georgian Room
- December 13 , 2013 - Ethics Potpourri CLE, Gonzaga University School of Law, 721 North Cincinnati Street
- December 20, 2013 - Year-end Potpourri CLE, County Commissioner's Assembly Room, 1026 West Broadway, Lower Level
- January 10, 2014- January Bar Luncheon with Guest Speaker Justice Debra Stephens, The Spokane Club, 1002 West Riverside Avenue, Georgian Room
- Spokane County Bar Association membership dues are past due. If you haven't paid your dues, you will miss out on the SCBA Holiday Party and VLP Silent Auction. Speaking of which, see the next item below.
- Spokane County Bar Association Holiday Party and VLP Silent Auction is Thursday, December 12, 2013 from 3:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at the Spokane Club, 1002 West Riverside Avenue, Georgian Room. Your paid membership is your tuition. Each member can bring one free guest. Additional guests can attend at a cost of $30 each.
Additional newsworthy items >>